Strongwater could not exist without the dedication, compassion and hard work of our many volunteers. A gift of your time will make a positive difference in the lives of others. We invite you to join us in fulfilling our mission to enrich lives, including your own, through the healing power of horses.
Some of the benefits of volunteering:
- Gain new skills and expertise
- Boost college application success and improve job resumes
- Satisfaction of making a difference in the lives of others
- Build social skills and achieve personal goals
- Enjoy working with our therapy horses
- Work in a tranquil and historic rural setting
- Be reliable and responsible in your volunteer duties
- Be willing to learn and participate in training programs, and meetings
- Communicate any issues or concerns which affect your duties
- Comply with Strongwater’s policies and procedures
- Keep sensitive organizational and client information confidential
- Be kind and respectful of others
- Educate others in your community about Strongwater and our programs
We have a wide-range of volunteer opportunities and are committed to finding a volunteer opportunity for you that suits your interests and skills. Prior horse experience is not required.
Volunteers assist by leading horses or walking beside riders (sidewalking) during classes. Sidewalkers walk or trot by the side of the horse, assisting the client with his/her balance under the direction of the instructor. Horse leaders guide the therapy horse in walking, trotting, and halting during the lesson, under the direction of the instructor. Lesson program volunteers must commit to a consistent weekly schedule, coming the same day and time each week, which allows the development of a bond between the volunteer, client, and instructor
Volunteers work directly with barn staff to help feed and care for the horses and the facility. This work is suited to those interested in hands-on work with our horses, or to high school or college students seeking internships or community service opportunities. Volunteers in the equine program should be willing to commit to a specified, consistent period of time each week.
Volunteers serve on event committees and assist with planning and production during the various fundraisers and special events that Strongwater holds each year.
Volunteers who possess skills or professional/technical experience that may benefit Strongwater, such as photography, marketing, graphic design, computer knowledge, etc., are encouraged to contact us.
Volunteers help with general maintenance, repairs and improvements of the facility, including fencing.
Volunteers assist with word processing, data entry, photocopying, bulk mailings and other support tasks. They also serve as receptionists and help answer phone calls.
If you don’t see something that you are interested in or that suits your skills, just contact us. We’d love talk and find a position for you. New volunteers must attend a volunteer orientation session and in certain instances, an additional training session specific to their roles. To see information on the steps necessary to become a volunteer at Strongwater click here or contact Stacy at [email protected] or call her at (978) 851-5540.